Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Revising My GAME Plan

(Image Source:  http://www.baltimorecitycouncil.com/SchoolSpot.htm, Dunbar High School's late, beloved Coach Bejamin Eaton) 

The focus of my recent efforts toward personal professional development has been the International Society for Technology in Education’s (ISTE) (2008) National Educational Technology Standards for Teachers (NETS•T) Standard 2, indicators c. and d.:


Standard 2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments

Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessment incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the NETS•S. Teachers:

c. design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity.

d. provide students with multiple and varied formative and summative assessments aligned with content and technology standards and use resulting data to inform learning and teaching.


I have approached this goal using Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer’s (2009) GAME plan, in which I decided goals upon which to take action, monitored my progress to make adjustments, and evaluated the results. This is only the first phase of a cycle of goal setting, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation that I expect to continue throughout my career—not only for these indicators, but in all aspects of my professional development.



During this time, I have learned about new technologies and applications and have learned new ways to implement these and more familiar tools in ways that reflect pedagogical best practices. One of the greatest areas of growth has been in developing technology-supported problem and project-based learning experiences for students (Cennamo, et al., 2009). Another important lesson of this experience has been a reminder that authentic learning experiences and assessments need not be separate. In fact, formative assessments, both formal and informal, fully integrated into these learning experiences, can increase the quality of learning for both students and teachers. The vast and growing variety of possible learning experiences and tools to support them precludes the notion of complete expertise. My long-term goal is to keep up with changing technology and improve my acumen in implementing these in accordance with sound learning theory.


Of course, the two NETS•T indicators upon which I have concentrated in this particular round of professional growth represent only a small part of my technological professional development plan. I hope to reflect all of the technology standards for teachers and students in my practice, even if, like Benjamin Franklin in pursuit of his thirteen virtues (http://www.sfheart.com/FranklinsVirtues.html), I focus on just a couple at a time. I certainly hope to employ technology to “Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity,” to “Model Digital-Age Work and Learning,” and to “Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility” (ISTE, 2008). Because these goals, and good pedagogy in general, are interrelated, I have already demonstrated some of their indicators in my practice. Nevertheless, I recognize the value of deliberate attention to each in its turn. I expect that my familiarity with technological tools and their roles in creating meaningful learning experiences that I am developing through this process will continue to grow as I collaborate with colleagues both in-person and remotely, investigate best practices through regular research, and continue formal university coursework. These approaches have served me well in the past, and will continue to aid my growth as technology, learning theory, and my practice evolve.


References


Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.


International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). (2008). NETS for teachers 2008. Retrieved October 20, 2009 from http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_for_Teachers_2008.htm

2 comments:

  1. Dug,

    I am like you, trying to concentrate on a couple of NETS for teachers standards at a time. I feel more comfortable mastering one at a time than being over whelmed trying to learn them all. I really like how this class has shown us how to “Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity” through technology.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,

    I understand what you mean about trying to avoid the danger of being overwhelmed. I think it is more important that we learn how to apply new technologies effectively rather than merely collecting tools for their own sake. In the end, it's about student learning, not the means we apply to make that happen. Digital technology is great, but it is not teaching in itself. It would be nice to believe that, when the dust clears, we have become better teachers, with or without the gizmos.

    -Dug

    ReplyDelete